About Cooking Matters
Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters is a groundbreaking nutrition-education program that connects families with food by teaching them how to prepare healthy, tasty meals on a limited budget. Professional chefs and nutritionists volunteer their time and expertise to lead hands-on courses that show adults, teens and kids how to purchase and prepare nutritious foods in healthful, safe, and tasty ways. This knowledge can mean the difference between feeding families just for one night, and making sure they never again have to worry about when their next meal will come.
With seven specialized nutrition curricula, Cooking Matters takes a cooking-centered approach to nutrition and household budgeting. Each class includes hands-on meal preparation led by a chef who teaches participants that cooking healthy foods can be simple, enjoyable, delicious, and affordable. The courses cover basic nutrition, food safety, and food budgeting so that participants are able to plan and prepare low-cost nutritious meals for themselves and their families. In addition, Cooking Matters adult participants receive groceries at each class session so that they can practice what they learn at home.
· Cooking Matters for Adults, offered in English and Spanish, teaches low-income adults about healthy meal preparation and sensible shopping on a limited budget.
· Cooking Matters EXTRA for Parents of Preschoolers, an addenda to Cooking Matters for Adults offered in both English and Spanish, focuses specifically on adults with preschool-age children.
· Cooking Matters for Adults EXTRA for Wellness, an addenda to Cooking Matters for Adults, teaches people living with HIV and AIDS and their caretakers about healthy meal preparation and sensible shopping using recipes and information specific to their special nutritional needs.
· Cooking Matters for Adults EXTRA for Diabetes, an addenda to Cooking Matters for Adults, offers specialized information for adults living with diabetes.
· Cooking Matters for Kids teaches children ages 8 to 12 about healthy eating and provides simple recipes children can prepare themselves.
· Cooking Matters for Teens teaches teenagers how to make healthy food choices and prepare healthy meals and snacks.
· Cooking Matters for Families brings school-age children and their families together to learn about healthy eating and the importance of family mealtime.
For more information about Cooking Matters, please visit http://www.cookingmatters.org/.