Volunteer Event at Yates Cider Mill
This past Saturday we had an awesome volunteer event at Yates Cider Mill in Rochester, MI. Although the weather wasn’t the greatest, it was still a lot of fun! Two of our volunteer chefs, Ina Cheatem and Barb Hughes, participated in an Iron Chef competition that incorporated apples from the cider mill.
Barb made a dish called Third Coast Toast.
1 Whole Wheat or Multigrain Baguette, sliced in about 20 slices, a little bigger than 1/4 inch
1 1/2 – 2 cups Skim Milk
2-3 Apples, pared and peeled and cut into 8-12 wedges
2 Deli Ham slices cut into 2″ squares
3/4 cup Shredded Mild Pinconning Cheese (can use Mild Cheddar, Edam, Colby or Gouda)
1 TBS Butter
1 TBS Vegetable Oil
Cinnamon Cider Syrup:
1 cup Apple Cider
2 TBS White Sugar
2 TBS Honey
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1. Combine syrup ingredients and set to simmer until reduced by 1/2 or coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
2. Stir eggs into 1 1/2 cups of milk and stir vigorously with a fork. Add bread slices, about 4 at a time. Turn so both sides are covered. Let sit while you prepare apples.
3. Heat pan and add butter and vegetable oil o medium heat. When butter is bubbly add apple wedges to brown slightly and turn and brown other side. Remove to plate.
4. Now add bread slices to medium hot pan. Brown about 3-4 minutes per side. (While the first batch is browning, add the other bread slices to egg mixture to soak). Now do another batch of bread until there all cooked.
5. Turn heat to low.
6. Put bread back in pan an top with a square of Ham, 1 or 2 apple wedges and 1 tsp of grated cheese. Cover with lid for about 30 seconds so the cheese melts.
7. Put on a plate and drizzle with Cinnamon Cider Syrup.
Ina’s made a Gingered Apple Breakfast Bulgar.
Makes 1 serving
1/3 cup Bulgar
1/3 cup Apple Cider + 2 TBS Water
½ Apple, Peeled, Seeded, and Shredded or Finely Diced
1 TBS Golden Raisins
½ tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Lemon Zest (organic if possible)
1 TBS Honey
Shredded Fresh Ginger
Chopped Almonds (optional)
1. Bring cider/water to a boil.
2. Add Bulgar and boil on high for 10-20 seconds. Cover saucepan with lid and take off heat. Let sit, covered, for 20 minutes.
3. In the meantime, combine shredded apple with cinnamon, lemon zest, ginger, and raisins. Mix with Bulgar.
4. Serve warm, with a drizzle off honey and chopped almonds, if desired.
Thanks to everyone who came out for the volunteer event! Hopefully we’ll see you at the next event!
Entry filed under: Uncategorized. Tags: .